Do you have issues that you find a smile makeover can fix? Your smile is the first thing people see when they meet you. They make their judgments of you based on what they see. If you’re like most people, there are some things that you’d like to change about your smile. If you have multiple issues you’d like to address, you may benefit from a smile makeover. This is one of the most popular procedures we offer at Legacy Dental in Salt Lake City.
A smile makeover is a process that involves using a combination of cosmetic procedures to improve the function, appearance, and health of your smile. Your needs, goals, budget, and timeline for treatment determine the procedures that will be used.
Some of the procedures that are commonly used in a smile makeover include the following:
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the top 7 issues that a smile makeover can address and which procedures are used.
During your consultation, the team will evaluate your smile and determine what your issues are. We will do a thorough examination and take images, as well as discuss your goals for treatment. We will create a treatment plan based on our findings. If you have multiple issues, a smile makeover may be recommended, which can address the following issues:
- Stained Teeth Over the years, your teeth may become stained due to foods and beverages. In most cases, we can get rid of stains with teeth whitening procedures. However, there are some stains that do not respond to teeth whitening. In these cases, we may recommend dental veneers or bonding. Dental veneers are thin shells that are applied to the front of the teeth. However, it is important to note that some prep work is required, including filing down the teeth to make room for the veneers. Dental bonding is the process of applying a thin layer of composite resin to the front surfaces of the teeth.
- Discolored Teeth In addition to stains developing on teeth over the years, they may also become discolored due to the aging process. A smile makeover can address natural discoloration as well with procedures such as crowns, bonding, veneers, and teeth whitening.
- Replace Old Metal Fillings For many years, silver amalgam fillings were used to fill cavities caused by decay. Over the years, these fillings break down and need to be replaced. Some patients want to replace them with more natural-looking options. A smile makeover can replace silver amalgam fillings with composite resin, which looks more natural. Another option for replacing these fillings is dental crowns. A crown covers the entire tooth, improving its appearance.
- Gummy Smile Two of the most common reasons that people seek a smile makeover are gummy smiles and receding gumlines. A gummy smile is when your gums are longer than your teeth, which makes it look like your smile is full of gums. Receding gums are the opposite- your smile is full of teeth and very little gums. In many cases, a receding gumline is the result of gum disease or infection, but both issues may be due to genetics.
- Missing Teeth Research shows that millions of American adults are missing at least one tooth. A smile makeover can address this problem with tooth replacement solutions such as dental implants, dentures, or bridges. Ideally, we recommend dental implants, as this solution looks, feels, and functions the most like your natural teeth. This involves placing a rod into your jawbone to act as a tooth root. Then, a crown is attached above the gumline to replace the tooth itself. Dental implants are designed to last a lifetime with proper care and maintenance. However, implants are one of the most expensive dental procedures, and not all patients qualify for treatment. If dental implants are not an option, we recommend dentures or bridges, depending on how many teeth need to be replaced.
- Teeth Gaps Gapped teeth are one of the most common misalignment issues. While many people may be proud of their gaps, it’s important to note that gaps can cause some issues. There are several smile makeover procedures that can be used to address teeth gaps, including Invisalign, metal braces, dental implants, bonding, and veneers. In many cases, gaps are due to malocclusion and, by fixing the malocclusion, the gaps will naturally close. For smaller gaps, dental veneers or bonding can be used. For more severe gaps, metal braces or Invisalign may be recommended. If the gap is due to a missing tooth, a dental implant may be recommended to replace the missing tooth.
- Cracked Teeth Accidents happen and may cause your teeth to become cracked or chipped. While not necessarily harmful, cracks/chips can impact the appearance of your smile. If you have cracked or chipped teeth, a smile makeover can resolve this issue with dental crowns, bonding, or veneers to minimize the appearance of these issues.
Procedures used in a smile makeover are not painful. You may have some minor discomfort with dental implants and orthodontics until your mouth gets adjusted to the hardware, but you should not experience any pain. If you do have significant pain or discomfort that does not subside within a few days, please contact the office, and we will get you in so that we can determine the cause and get the pain under control.
Your smile is the first thing people see and you want to make a good impression. If you have issues with your smile, the team at Legacy Dental can address them with a smile makeover. Schedule your consultation today with one of our highly trained cosmetic dentists.
We believe that the best approach is the most conservative one, so we offer extended and Saturday hours, as well as a variety of payment options. Also, we strive to offer treatment in as few appointments as possible because we understand that your time is valuable.
We are located at 1345 East 3900 South, Suite 116, in Salt Lake City. Our office hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM, Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, and Saturday, 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM.